Thursday, March 19, 2015

Who Raised You Broads??

Recently I spoke to a friend and hugged him in passing, as did my parents. The young lady with him, that I will presume is his boo/girlfriend or whatever averted her eyes from me and tried to physically push him along in an effort to end our cordial "hi" followed by a hug. Her push resulted in sort of an awkward moment. I stared at her and stood there for a moment and waited for her to look up at me and she never did. A part of me wanted to slap fire out of her, but I had to chuckle because if she knew better, she would have behaved better. Her insecurity surrounding us speaking has nothing to do with me. He looked embarrassed and then slightly annoyed.

When looking at television, Instagram, Facebook and simply being out in public, I often think "who raised you broads?" Women fighting on television over men who have no interest in claiming them, courting them, marrying them or even respecting them. Insecure women who react first instead of thinking or knowing all of the facts. Women who put their needs before their children. Women who find it funny for their children to cuss, pop their lips, twerk and dress like mini whores instead of children, but that's a whole other subject. *audibly sighs*

Growing up my father told me "if you are dating someone and you are out in public and he starts a conversation with someone, he should introduce you out of respect. It's not your place to jump in the conversation and insert yourself. If he's not proud to be with you, why would you want to be with him?" Of course there are exceptions to this, if he was to see a friend or family member and it's been ages since they have talked, they may instantly get carried away. BUT...He should still acknowledge or introduce me.

I am guilty of fulfilling girlfriend/wifely duties when it's just the two of us and then having to pretend that we are just friends in public. I've heard every excuse from "I'm really private and don't like people in my business," to "My ex is crazy and I'm just protecting you," and my personal favorite "It's just not the right time." It boils down to not understanding what you're worth, insecurity or simply knowing and accepting he is a liar or cheater. Again, the scenarios vary and if it makes you feel comfortable to use said excuses, go right ahead.

For me, you have one time to have me waiting in the background while you catch up. I'm outspoken, so I'll bring it to your attention. (Note: I won't be rude or make a scene, but it is definitely a conversation that the two of us will have privately.) The next time clearly tells me where I stand and how to react appropriately. Make no mistake about it, but it takes time and self-actualization to understand that walking away or declaring that we can only be cordial is not giving up... It's knowing you want and deserve more.

Let's also take this a step further. As I stated earlier, if you don't know the person he is interacting with, you could be setting yourself up for failure. What if the person he's speaking to is his sister, mother, cousin or aunt. Maybe it's just a lifelong friend he hasn't seen in a while and here you are showing your behind in public. In this instance it will be an epic fail for you, because I am that family member that will check you and then tell everyone else, so if he ever brings you around everyone else will check you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment