Thursday, September 27, 2012

Day 22 of 30: Whom Do You Admire Most?

I feel as though I have surrounded myself with a lot of admirable people and have been blessed to be related to some admirable people. So, I find it hard to narrow it down to one person or even a couple of people.

admire
Verb
1. Regard (an object, quality, or person) with respect or warm approval.
2. Synonymous with cherish, honor, value, look up to, credit.

If I look at it from the second point describing the word, my answer became clear.

MY DAD!!!


He's my hero! I honor him, cherish him and credit him with teaching me a lot. Sometimes I just stare at him or sit really close to him, poking and prodding him. He laughs and says "what is wrong with you? Why are you so close to me? Girl, stop! Beverly, get yo' daughter!" He probably thinks I'm weird, but the truth is I can't imagine my world without him, so I try to take in everything about him whenever I have a chance because neither of our tomorrows are guaranteed.

He came from a single parent home. He had one brother by his mom and father and a host of half brothers and sisters. Throughout my life he let me know that not having his father present propelled him to be the best father he could be. Is he perfect? No. We've certainly bumped heads a time or two and when he was wrong, he'd admit it and explain why he did what he felt was right. Most parents hit you with the "because I'm the parent and you'll do what I say."

Typical man, he has a hard exterior and doesn't always show emotion, but I know without a shadow of a doubt he loves my mother, my brother, my nieces and our extended family members and select friends. I've seen his struggles and the ability to carry what seems like the world on his shoulders. But, more than anything he's showed me his vulnerable side.

I saw how much the death of his father, albeit sort of a stranger, affected him. I was sad and mad for him. I wouldn't have gone to the funeral, but he went to the wake, funeral and burial... in fact I didn't. Couldn't bring myself to pour out emotion for someone who chose to have some of his kids and grandkids and not all. Even with all he was going through, he told me that closure was important. Being mad at someone who is no longer here proves and does nothing. In fact harboring animosity for anyone who has gone on with their life, is simply stupid. He was right!

I'm grateful that God saw fit to bless me with my parents! My mother is spectacular, but I think that the direction and strength that my father provides has laid the foundation for who I am and who I will date and marry!




No comments:

Post a Comment