Monday, September 10, 2012

Day 5 of 30: Describe the last thing that made you seriously cry

I had a dream one night that I was at my father's funeral and it felt so real I jumped out of my sleep. In a panic, I searched through my phone looking for evidence that the dream was true and found NONE. The details of it still floated through my mind and I cried like I have never cried before...

I just kept seeing someone at the podium crying trying to conduct the service and my second niece walking to the casket and breaking down. I walked up to her and comforted her, telling her that he would always be with her. After a moment she walked back to her mom but I turned back towards the casket and completely lost it. All of my friends just surrounded me and someone started praying. I just kept wailing "my daddy" and my emotion ripped through the crowd and brought everyone to tears. My brother stayed to comfort my mom. I eventually walked back to my seat but was numb.

I have yet to figure out why I had that dream and am thankful that he is still here. I know one day it will be a reality and that does not sit well with me but I know he really lived life and has been a friend, blessing, mentor and so many things, to so many people.

When my parents thought they couldn't have anymore children, my father prayed for one more child, a daughter if possible and God gave me to them. He stepped up after my mom's postpartum depression and in my opinion went above and beyond the typical father duties. Learning to do my hair. Father daughter bowling league. The first man to give me roses.

I now understand what it means to say "I want a man like my father." Patience isn't easy but I know God has designed someone who will compliment me and vice versa and will love and adore me as I have seen my father love my mother and respect me as a young woman.


No comments:

Post a Comment