Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Day 7 of 30: What does your name mean? Why were you named what you were named?

I was certainly not supposed to be here!! After the 2 pregnancies prior to mine not turning out well, my mother decided to have her tubes tied. The doctor, who I won't name but is still practicing (God Bless anyone he is tending to) did not believe in birth control (Yet, he went to medical school to become an obstetrician and gynecologist.... a field that is not stuck in the 19th century) so he only tied ONE tube.

Now, my parents had no idea that he felt that way or that he did not fully do the procedure. So in March of 1983, my mother begin to feel funny. Went to the doctor to hear "SURPRISE, you're pregnant." Feeling as though the doctor was confused she went to 2 other doctors, to only be told the same thing.

Her pregnancy with me left her a lot baffled and a tad depressed. Just imagine thinking you couldn't have anymore children and then *BAM* you're pregnant. Some family members offered suggestions, but thank Jesus my mama prayed and searched the bible for my name, after the insistence of my Godmother.

The suggested name for me was SHERMANETTA FRANSCITA..... Yeah, I can imagine that you are reading this and are in total awe or can't stop laughing.

Shermanetta because my dad's name is Sherman and Franscita after my paternal grandmother. I'm all for legacies and honoring people, worth honoring but with a name like that I would have been 500 pounds going to fat camp every year, never having a boyfriend, lonely with 20 cats and eating ice cream by the gallon.

After much contemplation, my mother went with KETURAH DIANE. Keturah is found in the bible, Genesis the 25th chapter and 1st verse. Diane, after a friend she no longer talks to, but I digress.

To date the only meaning I have found is that Keturah is Hebrew and means incense.

So there you have it in a nutshell!  

2 comments:

  1. From this day forth I will be calling you Shermanetta. Deal with it.

    ReplyDelete